In the story "About Effie", we constantly find that Effie is waiting for someone. At one point she even misunderstands the protagonist of being the person she is waiting for. In my opinion, I feel that she is waiting for an spiritual humans also known as ghosts. From the clues she gives us, I felt like this person isn't actually a living person. Also by how almighty she describes this person to be, I am guessing that she is waiting for some kind of a God-figure like character. Also she tells that he will come when rain, thunder, and music is all heard, which made me feel like she was waiting for some one to descend from the sky.
This story contains a lot of Christ imagery. Write down these separate sentences from the story that might symbolize Jesus and explain why Timothy Findley might have written these into his story
1. "On a cloud," she whispered. "A big black cloud..."
I thought this was one of the biggest statement that gives the guy a Christ imagery. I thought this because riding a cloud generally symbolizes that he isn't any ordinary human, and since riding a cloud is nearly impossible, he had to be some kind of a God.
2. "Why, if I went to Timbuctoo he'd just as soon find me there. Or in Madagascar even. I don't have to wait around in any old Toronto."
In this quote Effie states that "he" could find her anywhere. This made me think that he is a person who watches over all of us and knows exactly where we are. This clue also led me to believe that she was waiting for a Christ-like character.
3. "Besides, it's not just me he's after."
In this case, it didn't really feel like "he" was a holy figure, but it still had a Christ-like characteristics. Whoever this person was, he wasn't just any ordinary person that wanted Effie, but a person who wanted to take care of and rule over all human beings. I believe this was another characteristic of Christ in a more cynical way.
Can non-christian authors reveal truth about god's world?
I feel that authors who are non-christian won't be able to reveal the truth about God's world fully. I'm sure they might be able to reveal some minor or common parts, but they won't be able to fully understand everything. However, this is also true for most christian too, who have just as much trouble understanding God. The only difference between the two are that Christian's believe in God, and non-Christians doubt God.
What is the theme of "about effie"
"About Effie" was one of the most difficult story to understand. I had hard time coming up with the theme, and even now I am not 100% sure if it is right. However, I believe that the theme of this whole story is to not judge a book by it's cover. In the beginning of the story, we assume that Effie is this crazy, lunatic human. However, at the end we understands that she wasn't as crazy as we thought she was, and she had reasons for her actions. I think the author is saying never to judge the person on their first impression.
Find a bible verse that relates to the theme of "About Effie" and include it in your written responses
Matthew 7:2 (New International Version)
2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

No comments:
Post a Comment