About me

Hi guys. My name is Daniel and I am currently going to an international school in Daejon, Korea. I am currently 14 years old. I have created a blog for my English 9 class and hope you guys enjoy it :) Have fun~

Saturday, 26 September 2009

Clue 4

What specific clue can setting reveal about the theme of a short story?
In a short story, settings are one of the major details we find that is useful when we are trying to understand the story. Since the story is a “short” story, it has limited amount of space to describe everything. However, by having a setting, it is used like a background information section, also giving a slight clue to as what the theme of the story is. For example in the story “About Effie” the setting takes place in a gloomy, rainy day and gives us a kind of a dark feeling. That is why as the story continues along, we build up this dark tension, setting our thoughts on Effie that she is kind of weird or crazy in a way, not anything thinking she is just any normal person. Now, if we didn't have the settings, the author would have to write a long portion about what is going on and give reasons on why the protagonist is scared or nervous.

how does an author drop clues about character and how their actions lead you to the theme of a story?
As the story builds up, we could often tell what the character is feeling at that situation and tell what kind of action they are taking. This also a way that authors use to drop clues for us to realize what the theme of the story is. By analyzing what the character is doing and what they are feeling, we could tell what the general tension of the story. For example, when we first encounter Effie, we think of her as this crazy, lunatic because of her weird actions. However, later on, we realize that she is just a normal person and had her reasons for her weird actions. This can relate to the theme of the story, which is something like, ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’

what is the strongest setting you have ever encountered in your own life(the place that has impacted you the most). Describe this place and ponder if God revealed anything about himself or his truth in this place
The strongest setting I have encountered in my life would be the Grand Canyon. I was at the age of 13 when our family decided to take a road trip to the Grand Canyon. When I was first saw the Grand Canyon, I couldn’t believe my eyes. The land was filled with beautiful mountains and rocked that were shaped like a piece of art. I was amazed at how beautiful nature can be. Then I realized how artistic and how wonderful God is, being able to create such an magnificent piece of art. The place looked as if it wasn’t just naturally made, but by the hands of someone, whom gave me another evidence that God really exists.

who is a "character" in your life( a real-life person) you admire? Why do you admire this person(be specific and name the traits you admire)
The person I admire the most in my life would be my sister. She is currently attending her 4th year on University of Pennsylvania. I admire her more than anyone I know because of many reason. One is because of her unwillingness to give up no matter what she does. When she was my age, our family was very poor and did not have enough money to support her fully. However, despite the financial issue, she managed to get scholarship for one of the best all-girl school in Los Angeles. Also after, she managed to get a scholarship for UPENN, and that is one of the reason I admire her. Also, she is the person that understands me the most in my family. When I have a fight with my parents, she is the one who always comes and looks after me. She understands what I go through because she also has experienced it. I have never fought with my sister, and kept a close relationship, and that is what I hope to never break.

No comments:

Post a Comment